Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sea of Monsters Early Screeningreally

Okay so today (or yesterday considering its 1AM.) I saw the early premiere of The Sea of Monsters. I wore my Camp Half Blood Shirt (curtsey of Fox Productions on giving me a free shirt).  Let me just say, I loved it! Compared to the books, it was eh. But personally, I would go see it again.  I probably will considering my little brother wants to see it. Now if you are reading this and do not want to be spoiled, I advise you to stop reading.

SPOILERS
I wont talk about every single scene, cause lets face it, its 1 in the morning and I don't even know how I'm staying awake (must be all the sugar and candy and pop).

The beginning of the movie started with the flashback. Personally it irked me that the characters were so close in age, especially Grover and Luke, and Thalia. Nevertheless it was still exciting to see Thalia's sacrifice. It seemed to be a little rushed although and ended really fast.

The scene then changes to a battle competition (which the movie released a sneak peak clip of it). I love how Percy still shows his fatal flaw and rushes to help a fellow camper. It warmed my heart to see him like that. Clarisse was, as always, the vicious girl we all know and love.
through the movie Percy constantly beats himself up about not being good enough and putting himself down. I really wanted to go up and give Logan a big hug and just let him know about all his fan girls.

Lets talk about Tyson, okay so Douglas Smith was an A+ Tyson. He is so cute and cuddly, and had the best humor. I adored his positive attitude and his cute sense of humor. When he comes into the camp, and Percy sees him, his face is priceless.

Alexandra Daddario, I think we can all agree looks and acts more like Annabeth in this film than the first. Not only is her hair blonde, but her emotion in her acting is spot on. I wanted to cry when she saw Thalia's dying tree. I love how we get to see more of Alexandra's characters emotions and get a real feel of Annabeth.

Jake Abel. I literally love him. He is such a great Luke. And very, very, very handsome. (Too bad he's engaged.) I wish we could have seen a little more of him in the movie, but nevertheless he put on a great performance.

Grey Damon as Chris Rodrigues! Grey was super handsome in the movie and showed his sword skills. Skills you don't get to see on the ABC Family show Twisted. I can't wait when he and Clarisse get together.

Thalia, she is one of my favorite characters of all time in this fandom. To me, she has the saddest backstory and life. Even though they pronounce her name wrong in the movie (Rick tweeted the correct way to say her name), I still was happy how my favorite character turned out. I never imagined her body being able to be seen even when she was a tree. It was kind of creepy but made the movie come alive. My heart was beating towards the end, just waiting for her to revive. Soon enough, Grover calls Percy and they rush, along with all the other campers to her Tree. There she is, and when Percy touches her, Thalia's bright Blue eyes open. Paloma Kwiatkowski, I think will make a great Thalia in future movies. Even though we didn't see a whole lot of her as Thalia, I have very high hopes that my favorite character will be played by a great actress. She brought her to life, and acted as if she really just came out of a deep sleep, stumbling, trying to clear her eyes (unless that was Paloma trying to see without prescription contacts;)). It was overall a great performance.

When Tyson risks his life for Percy, and "Dies". I wanted to cry. Especially because with his last words he said "You would do it for me," and falls off the edge into the water (which obviously heals him). It was such a sad and touching moment.

When Percy hugs Tyson, after seeing him, and calling him brother. I'm sorry but I just wanted to cry it was so heartwarming. Tyson reminds me sort of my brother (except mine has two eyes), funny, positive, and all about family. This made me want to hug my brother and tell him I am sorry for every single fight we ever had.

Dionysus is hilarious. I loved him. The actor, the comedy, the overall performance was wonderful.

Chiron I love much better than the first movie. This time around he is much more wise, and just seems more, Chiron like, I guess. He has that old, wise, immortal look about him.

Brandon, T. Jackson is a fantastic Grover. I know lots of people didn't like how they had him African American, but personally, I like him a lot. He's quirky, funny, and a comic relief. I just loved how when he finally revealed himself to the Cyclops, ripping off his dress and googly eye. He's such a cutie.

When Annabeth got stabbed, personally, I didn't enjoy that they went out of the book, but I liked the emotion in the scene. How she "died," and that sweet Percabeth moment when Percy was telling her have faith (or hope, sorry I forget, its almost two AM my time,). Logan's face when Annabeth closed her eyes were so sad. No, sad is an understatement. There is no word that could describe his face. Even though it wasn't from the books, it was still a sweet Percabeth scene. Although it seemed kinda random for her to all of the sudden get stabbed, but whatever floats the writers boats...

Okay so I fangirled when Annabeth said "Oh my Gods," Cause I felt like the book came alive, and the writers finally put something right in there. Also when Clarisse says "What the Hades are you doing?!" I screamed inside because, yet another, book related saying flew from the pages and into the film gracefully.

CAMP HALF BLOOD SHIRTS! Okay so not every single camper was wearing a shirt. It okay, it would take a lot of money from the budget to supply every extra with a shirt. But at least some of the campers had them!! Which is better than none. I was happy to at least see some orange Tees around in the crowd.

THINGS THAT BOTHERED ME:
I know its just a movie adaption, and nobody's perfect... but these details I just did not agree with.

The pronunciation of Thalia. Its pronounced Thah-Lee-Ah, not Tal-E-A.

Silena Beauregard is already shown as a traitor. She should be at Camp, flirting with Charles, and just living a normal life. Not with Luke, showing the gang she already changed sides.

Kronos. Okay this was a big thing. When he managed to come back to life, well halfway, I almost groaned out loud. Seriously? And Percy just easily defeats him... Like it was just another monster. Sure they stopped him in the end but it just bugged me that he was in the movie in the first place. I could be wrong, I read the Sea of Monsters about four years ago so maybe I'm forgetting something. But I'm sure Kronos didn't have a show down with the son of Poseidon.

No Percy guinea pig. Enough Said.

Ages of the characters in flashbacks.

How Luke said he had to go to the depths of Tartarus to get the coffin of kronos. No. No. Its just simply not that easy to do. I mean Nico barely survived... and Percy and Annabeth are down there now. You cant just go in an out like In N Out Burger. Its just impossible. I literally almost laughed when Luke said that. In my head I was mumbling protests.

There is probably a lot more of things that I didn't agree with in the movie, but I don't want to be too negative.

Overall this movie is amazing, and well made. Though very rushed, it was entertaining. Compared to the books, I give it a 7/10. But standing alone, its a 9/10. Besides, nobody's perfect, and I very much enjoyed the movie. It was well worth the wait and now we all have to wait a year and a half or so till the next movie. But now we can look forward to The House of Hades!!! October is closer than you think! It's funny how I when I think of October, I don't think of Halloween, Candy, or my sisters birthday. Nope I think of The Heroes of Olympus and getting to see everyone's favorite OTP together (even if they are deep down below).

Until then, enjoy a picture of my Sea of Monsters inspired nails. Sorry they aren't professional good, I'm not that artistic. And sorry about the quality of the picture. The lighting is awful.
I also suggest if you have braces to not eat Milk Duds. They WILL get stuck in your teeth and no matter how hard you try, it will stay there for a long time. (I learned the hard way before the movie started.)
Anyways go see the movie! You'll love it!
Farewell Demigods! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment